View Single Post
Unread 01-28-2013, 11:09 AM

Default Screw This (JIS Discussion)

I'm aware of the JIS issue with our bikes, and the service bulletin mentioned in this thread...

JIS vs ISO Thread Pitch

I recently obtained 5mm JIS screws, but they are "new JIS" .8 pitch instead of "old JIS" .9 pitch. Fail.

I'm missing 1 bloody screw for my "front winker". And, I wouldn't mind replacing all of my handle switch / winker screws just for appearance, but that's not mission critical.

Got together with a machinist friend who has a whole shop at his disposal, and after he did some calculations, he thinks a 12-28 screw run through an M5-.9 die might do the trick. Unfortunately, he doesn't have that die.

Before I try that experiment, which involves buying that die, does anybody have any experience with this issue? I know it's pretty whacky to go through all of this for 1 screw, but I like doing things like this just to know I can, ha ha.

I suppose the more sensible solution would be to find out if anyone has a source for "old JIS"?

On another note, I recently ordered the engine screw kit from Rimfire. I hope those have correct pitch (?)

Last edited by JoeM; 01-28-2013 at 11:11 AM.