Thread: Bars and Grips
View Single Post
Unread 02-22-2009, 10:35 AM

Send a message via AIM to RobG Send a message via Skype™ to RobG
Default Bars and Grips

I will have to update this with photos on Tuesday when I have them, but for now a description.

It looks like the bar took a significant impact from the right side and the bar actually buckled in 2 places. There are a number of holes cut in the bars, which are of course, also weak points. The bar might be salvageable, but I found a reproduction bar for fairly cheap (I think I paid 40$ for it). The new bar fits fine and has all of the correct holes, with the exception of the small slit at the start of the throttle slide channel. I corrected this without too much trouble.

The problem I have run into is that the impact also collapsed the throttle-side hand grip (rubber bit). When I post the picture, you will see a ring around the center of it where it is actually a larger diameter now. This allows the throttle slide to slip out of channel and spring load back to idle. As such, I need to replace the grips as part of the bar reassembly. This is where I got the wrong part sent to me. The "correct" grips I was sold are symmetric. That is, the left and right are identical. The original throttle grip has a spiral channel cut in the inside to facilitate actually pulling the throttle cable.

I am going to take Tuesday off and work on the bike, as well as pick-up the new KTM so I will post pictures of the whole deal including the wiring.