View Single Post
Unread 12-17-2008, 12:11 PM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers
Default Thoughts on the Shark RSR2

I have had some time to really put some miles on the ol Shark RSR2 helmet and I love everything about it. It fits tight and secure on me and I once it's on I don't have to adjust it one bit for as long as I ride for which is really nice. Me and my group were riding "swiftly" for a whole day and we covered a lot of California ground on different types of roads... from open valleys to mountain paths down to the 101 and back up the coast.

At one point we were spaced maybe 2 bike lengths between riders at the most and we all found our tires kicking gravel right up into each others faces. These few seconds I got showered with more rocks at high speed than I have ever seen in all my life. We did a lot of miles that day and that instance was the most dangerous instance the whole day. Seeing rocks fly right at your face makes you flinch your head down and that half of a second looking away from the road almost had me riding off the hillside. These shrapnel were as big as quarters just shredding the front of your bike and helmet. It was like some evil elves had jumped out from the bushes in front of you and started shooting you up rocks. It was bad.

NEVER TAKE YOUR EYES OFF THE ROAD. As long as your face shield is down just grin and bear it. Better to look into the hail storm then to ride off the road cause you are ducking down. I almost went right off myself!

When we stopped up ahead I instantly took off my RSR2 to survey the damage to it. The face sheild being the thickest one that you can buy on a streetbike helmet was nicked in a few places but not severely scratched to the point that I would need to replace it. But the one big shot that I took to my dome really put a dent in the left temple area of the helmet. It's not that bad but considering the force it takes to chip the plastic that much that one particular rock was a doozy. It seriously felt like small baseball bats to the head and the front of my Aprilia. My front fender is actually missing a 2 inch piece out of it from that barrage. Needless to say there are many more random nicks and dents in the front of my bodywork. Oh well I don't care. That's riding!

If you look close you can see a few chips. The obvious one and then another one on top of the Shark logo and another just above the mouth piece.

In case anyone wants to see the shield mechanism. The round buttons don't do anything at all. They are just a pivot for the shield. The thing that looks like a tooth turns once the shield is placed on the helmet, in order to hold the shield in place.

Thank goodness the shield is so thick! I had to tell myself that the shield is rated for F1 helmet thickness and to put my eyes back on the road even though it was raining debris.