View Single Post
Unread 09-04-2014, 08:46 PM

Default Anyone Care to Top Stevers Boneheaded Move?

Hi Everyone:
You might remember I lucked into a pile of CB160 parts on craigslist, enough to build several bikes, and building bikes is what I've been doing. I finished my first CB160 last Spring and I figure I am a couple months away from finishing my second. Lately I've begun to feel like quite the craftsman when I consider the ease with which this second bike is coming together compared to the first. My Friends, Pride comes before a fall.
I made a point with my second bike to paint or polish every part before assembly. I painted the engine cases before assembly to avoid getting paint on the gaskets and so on. The past few weeks I have been working on the wheels. I started by finding a pair of nice rims, ordering a set of chrome spokes from overseas, and cleaning, sanding and polishing the hubs. I did a good enough job on truing these wheels that I decided when I have time I am going to go back and redo the rims on the first bike. I installed the rear wheel and tire on the bike a week ago and I've spent the past couple days getting the front assembly ready. Today was supposed to be the big day. The day bike number two would be standing on it's own two wheels. I got the wheel into position and picked up the speedo drive to place it on the hub and at that point I discovered I had put the front wheel together using a Scrambler hub. 160 Scrambler hubs have no provision for a speedo drive.....
Drum.jpg