View Single Post
Unread 02-18-2010, 03:14 PM

Default How about another 1UZ Swap!?! 3rd Gen 4Runner 5VZ -> OBD-II 1UZ

First, hats off to Smitherz. I decided to throw this build on this site because this is one of the best resources for 1UZ swaps, and I'm not a big fan of some of the other Toyota truck sites. Smitherz Tacoma is the shit, and this site definitely provides one of the most comprehensive outlines on how to do this. And it's a LOT of work...

So a few weeks ago, my 5VZ finally died at 219K. I think it spun a rod bearing (I'll find out once I tear it apart). Pretty disappointing for a Toyota engine, but more motivation to get started on this swap. Bought a 95 OBD-II (260HP/270 ft. lb. variant) LS400 1UZ and trans with 140K on it off ebay a few weeks prior to the 5VZ dying, so it was sort of a blessing in disguise.

Engine looked pretty good. But thank god I opened it up first; when I took of the intake manifold, each port was full of water. Clearly from the fucktard that power washed then engine, but alarming none the less. Would've been instant hydrolock for someone just swapping it in as is. Turned it upside down, sprayed some Amsoil Metal Protector in each cylinder, along with a little oil, vacuumed that out, so I'm pretty confident the bores are protected from rust. It cranks over super easy by hand, and aside from a ton of smoke when I first fire it up, it should be fine.

This isn't just an engine swap. I plan on refreshing and upgrading the entire truck so it can go another 200K. That means a rebuilt diff, new axle seals, tearing out the interior for extensive rewiring and soundproofing, painting a lot of neglected suspension components, preserving the frame against rust inside and out, new lighting, new gauges, alot of 99+ 4Runner upgrades into my 96, some paint defect removal and replacing anything else that looks past its prime. Hoping to have this thing back on the road by the end of April. Having no job makes this my primary focus for the next few months.

A few months ago in CO

Lots of upgrades coming in here.

Today in Phoenix. Nice time of year to be out in the garage! KM2s have about 30 ft. on them so far!

I'll add to this when I actually make some decent progress. Hopefully the V6 will be out by this weekend!