View Single Post
Unread 10-30-2009, 08:53 PM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

A little more about MIG and TIG welding if anyone is not a welder here: One is obviously showing much more consistent welds. The one on the upper left is MIG welded together. It's a pain in the butt to get the wire to puddle up flat all of the time because as soon as you hit the trigger the power is ON and you can't adjust the amount of current but you have to lay down the wire into puddles anyhow regardless.

With the TIG on the lower right you can see the pattern of welding is MUCH more consistent. This is due to much more power being at your fingertips and you can add the rod material when the temperature and the material you are welding together is ready to take it. But in contrast when you use the MIG it's GO GO GO as soon as you pull the trigger. With the TIG its a much slower process but it's more controlled, albeit, a little more complicated because you are using a piano pedal to control the rate of current, your primary hand holds the gun and the other is in charge of adding material with the rod.

If no one is going to be looking at your work, go ahead and MIG everything up and call it a day. But with some more patience and practice you can TIG things together for a stronger bond and a much better looking outcome. As you can see I went ahead and grinded then belt sanded most of the MIG welds as they are inconsistent on such old steel and get a little sloppy sometimes.

Here is actually how the parts will rest together on the front of the truck. I had my front "bumper" looking bar poweder coated krinkle black. The black bars main purpose is actually to mount the radiator but I made it look and could function like a bumper/hoop.

The Toyota Tacoma headlights basically mount just above these boxed supports on each side.

I was thinking of making tab on the front of those boxed pieces I made so that I could take the bumper piece off and on the front like it did on the stock body material. But then I just started thinking why? I'll just weld it together and get it over with. I'm not planning on taking it on and off and it doesn't need to come off for access to the radiator or anything. So I'll just weld it all together in the morning and then start working on the fender mounts. I'll have to grind back some of the powder coating but no big deal. Needs to be done.