View Single Post
Unread 01-30-2013, 09:25 PM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

The bike was all there so I just assumed it needed a valve job and some carb tuning and that's basically what it needs it turns out. I stripped it all down and took the frame away to Powder Coating USA powdercoated. Then I replaced all the seals in the engine and check the valves... yep too tight. They valves have to be checked often in these small bore, high rev 250cc 4 strokers and when they get tight they won't start anymore. I sanded down one of the shims on the intake side to get it back in spec and just put the engine back together tonight. I'll update with many more pics of the tear down, the metal finishing work I had done and the cleaning sessions.

I really lost my mind and went above and beyond on this one. Dirt bikes are so easy to tear down and revive compared to a truck or an old streetbike so I really am having fun. Every time I work on the project a lot gets done so it's fun to see the progress. I had a very hard time not painting the engine silver but it cleaned up really good and I'm ready to start seeing it go back together so I can ride it finally.

There is no way I could let this fly! Time to degrease and remove all that sludge. All that grime slows you down.

Last edited by Smithers; 02-13-2013 at 11:39 PM.