View Single Post
Unread 12-25-2013, 03:21 PM

Default New Forum member

Hi,

I’m new to both this forum and vintage Honda motorcycles so I thought I’d introduce myself. I’m in my early sixties, and, if I remember correctly, I enjoyed the late 60’s and early 70’s and now I have the resources to have what I couldn’t have back then. I’ve spent the past few years enjoying the camaraderie of good friends while restoring British bikes that I longed-for back then, primarily Norton Commandos and Triumph Bonnevilles. Last week I had the honor of purchasing a ’66 CA160 with 5,4XX miles on it from a deceased friend’s widow at a reasonable price. He last registered it in 2004 and, before putting it in storage in a shed with many other Hondas, he “pickled” the engine. Although I haven’t had the time to prep it to run, it does turn over nicely with the kick-start, the transmission shifts through all gears, both front and rear brakes operate. There’s only minimal cosmetic rust but I haven’t had time to check the frame but ,based on it’s overall condition, I don’t expect there to be any issues there..

Currently it’s sitting with Marvel Mystery Oil sprayed into the cylinders and penetrating oil on all accessible bolts, nuts and screws. Other than a Honda shop manual which I can’t locate anywhere, I ordered a Wisco battery, NGK plugs, points, condenser and various gaskets and o-rings for the oil filter and I intend to try to start it when I return from a short vacation. If that goes well, I’ll clean and line the gas tank, replace the cables and the brakes and rebuild the carburettor. I’ve read horror posts about the petcock and, hopefully, there won’t be a problem with it.

There are numerous posts chronicling frame-up restorations with spectacular results but I think I’d like to keep this as a genuine survivor since it can only be original once, however, I haven’t decided whether I should polish the chrome, mildly polish the aluminum and restore the existing paint. I know it’s a personal decision but please share your thoughts.

I haven't had a problem sourcing the parts that I presently need but I can't find the one item I'm in desperate need of - a factory shop manual or a .pdf of it. All of the links I've found have "expired". Also, while know it’s a ’66 CA160, I’ve also heard it referred to as a “Baby Dream”, a “Benly”; and a different “C”XX model number; which is correct?

Last edited by marctroy; 01-01-2014 at 06:01 PM. Reason: stoopid spelling