View Single Post
Unread 08-29-2010, 06:13 PM

Time Stamp 8-29-10
The bags have been cleaned and the excess glue removed from the bag gasket. I very carefully use paint stripper to remove the old adhesive from the rim of the bag. I then use Westleys Whitewall Cleaner on the bags and scrub with steel wool. Some inside stains cannot be removed, but the bags are clean and dry, ready for repairs

For all of the fiberglass repairs and hole filling I use regular fiberglass resin found at any big box store or auto parts store.

For small drilled holes in the bag, just use masking tape as a backing on the inside of the bag. I break a wooden stirring stick and use it to apply small amounts of resin to fill and scrape the resin level

The mounting holes in the fiberglass were very worn. This comes from the metal inner support being worn out. The inner support was removed and a new one will be fabricated. Meanwhile the mounting holes in the bags will be filled and redrilled. But first they have to be enlarged and tapered to accept the next step. I use my dremmel with a grinding wheel as shown.

Tape the back of the hole with multiple layers of masking tape. Cut a small square of fiberglass woven cloth and depress in the hole. The exposed adhesive side of the masking tape will hold the cloth in. With scissors, cut small bits of fiberglass cloth into some resin and make a slurry. Add hardner and place into the depression over the cloth and work the slurry into the colth. This will make a lump to be ground off flush. This trick will reinforce the bond and leave a nice strong patch to be drilled out. This is a Spokes Special Technique.

Here is anothe technique. Here is a before pic showing a very thin and weak part of the bag at the tail light. The tip is also blown through.

I apply straight resin to the entire area to bond with the old fiberglass. I used masking tape behind the hole.

The surface of the bags are very rough from the sand of walnut blasting. Most people would use spot puddy to fill the groves. I do not. I use a commercial grade automotive filler. Here is a another Spokes Technique:
Apply 2 part polyester auto filler to the bag. Wait until the filler "gels" about 5minutes. After gelling use a sharp scraper to shave the surface faily smooth and to remove any excess. This technique saves sanding time.

More to come in the next time stamp