Thread: Choke Issues
View Single Post
Unread 07-10-2014, 03:19 AM

Send a message via AIM to ByTheLake

From cold, my Benly starts within 1-2 seconds, and if it's over 60 degrees out, it needs no choke, or very little.

You mentioned the petcock - like Spokes, I too replaced my original with a Harley-style petcock, using an aftermarket eBay-sourced adapter. I also never leave the petcock on unless I'm riding the bike. I tried using my original and applying a petcock rebuild kit, but it leaked regardless. The inexpensive Harley-style petcock is reliable and more durable.

I'm wondering if the petcock is contributing to your starting issues? When a bike sits in a garage, the temps rise and fall each day, causing the fuel to expand and contract in the float bowl. With a petcock left open, the carb can act like a small pump, pumping the expanding fuel into the throttle body, then when the fuel cools, the float level drops and more fuel is allowed back into the float bowl through the petcock, and the process repeats the next day.

This heating/cooling cycle can cause fuel to seep into the cylinder, past the rings, and into the crankcase, where it can thin the oil. That could also cause a flooded condition, making it difficult to start.