View Single Post
Unread 03-19-2013, 09:24 PM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers
Default Suzuki RMZ250 Carb Tuning and Troubleshooting

I acquired this bike understanding that the owner and his friends couldn't make it run. They took the RMZ apart and tried to fix it and just couldn't manage to ever get it running again. I didn't even know what was wrong with it when we bought it but I assumed it would need a valve job and new gaskets. I did the top end work without replacing piston and rings since they looked so good when I had it apart. And while I had it apart it only made sense to do a valve job and adjust them back to Suzuki specs.

I was feeling pretty good about starting the bike up. I decided I would just try my luck by assembling the carb, airbox and then just trying to start it up. No luck and I didn't know where to start troubleshooting. I checked and double checked the valve timing. It was dead on. Then I checked for fuel. I used a factory tool to check the actual float level and it was good. Then I checked to make sure there wasn't any corrosion or blockage - all good and clean. Still no start.

What next? The accelerator pump was surely pumping a stream of fuel when the throttle was turned. Then I held my hand over the air inlet of the carb while my friend kicked it over. There was a mist of fuel mixture spray being produced as my hand was wet from fuel and I could see fuel fog in the carb. So what the heck? Maybe the 48 slow jet is unusually large since 40 is the stock. It's a long shot but I replaced the slow jet (sometimes called pilot jet) back to stock. No go. It would just pop every few kicks maybe. I couldn't help but think it was a timing issue again but I decided to stick with troubleshooting the carb.