View Single Post
Unread 03-18-2010, 11:07 AM

Been out of town for a while, so here's a small update of what I've gotten done since then.

FINALLY dropped the engine in. It looks great! Fits fairly well, BUT, there's some serious issues.

I had a modest 1/2" body lift on the truck to begin with, and I was really hoping to not add anymore. That's impossible, though. The 1UZ is much wider and flatter than the 5VZ, and it mounts the bell housing considerably higher than the 5VZ. So, now I'm waiting on an 1 1/2" body lift to come in. I figure I can try the 1.5" first, then add my 1/2" pucks if that's not enough.

Also, an issues I haven't seen on the other 95+ trucks that I'm having is some interference with the gaggles of ABS lines coming from the master cylinder. It's really affecting how far back the engine can go in the bay, but I'm thinking more body lift will remedy that.

Been busting my ass on the interior. After I pulled out the carpet, I noticed all of the jute backing was damp. I pulled the carpet in June of last year and powerwashed it. Guess it wasn't completely dry when I reinstalled it, and it can't dry at all once installed (carpet is rubber backed so zero air flow). That explains the musty stink I've endured for the past 9 months.

Ripped all the jute off, carefully traced and cut new pieces from my Ultra Touch roll, and repadded the entire truck with twice the thickness as the stock jute. Should really make the interior mega quiet.

Also added Damplifier and Ultratouch to the roof, which sounds like a sheet of drywall when you tap it, not like a soda can!

I also dicked around and started to make some endlinks. Pretty easy and the heim joints are cheap ($9 each) since I don't think a $50 PTFE lined joint is necessary.

My awesome ebay headers came, too. I think these are identical to what Smitherz used, and I'm glad I went with them. Look well made, super thick flange and the welds are certainly nice enough.

This week, I'll have the interior reinstalled, finish up the wiring for all my aux lights that will sit on my new roof rack, install an alarm and hopefully get that body lift so I can measure for engine mounts!