View Single Post
Unread 06-15-2009, 09:08 PM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers
Default How to Double Flare Automotive Tubing Ends

This has been a big snag for me as I've always hated doing this! There has never been a good guide to doing the flared ends for automotive hydraulic brake lines on the internet. This has driven me to spend a couple hours perfecting my technique with common tools that are available to anyone. I'm sure there are some people who have crazy production line quality presses that make these things really fast. I WILL own one of those someday.

But for now I have a common set of BluePoint double flare tools to use.. and it's gets even better for this exercise... it's a standard size kit that I'll be using on my metric tubing! Why might you ask? Well because that's what a friend loaned me! Plus I'm adapting it to work with a standard size coupling. Since I'm adapting it to my standard hydraulic throwout bearing I have to use standard hardware to make the Toyota metric hydraulic line adapt. And it will work.

To begin with here is my setup below. This is the metric Toyota line with standard hardware joining it into the standard steel braided line that connects it to the hydraulic throwout bearing in the transmission.