View Single Post
Unread 05-25-2010, 11:47 PM

Well, it's been a long, long time since I've had any updates.

And unfortunately, it looks like this project has gotten the best of me.

I'm officially out of money, deep into the red, and not really close to getting it done. Still trying to track down parts (pain in the ass), and I still have quite a few expensive purchases to get it running right. Notably, $600 for an exhaust since I can't weld.

I think I'm throwing in the towel. Really hard to do, but I don't have much choice at this point. I've been borrowing a car from a friend for about a month now, and there's no clear end in sight for this swap. I think it's best to cut my losses so I can at least buy a cheap daily driver to get to work.

Unfortunately, that means my truck is out of commission until who knows when. So much work in it, and I can't enjoy any of it until I can rally the funds to put a 5VZ back in. I might just part it out and get back into Honda's. Really lost a lot of interest in anything Toyota because of this experience! Oh how I miss engine swaps that take just a weekend...

Big thanks to Smitherz for keeping such a detailed build of his Tacoma. But one thing the pictures can't tell you is the incredible investment of time and effort it takes to attempt a swap like this. Even with a good plan of attack, it's still full of set backs, tight fitments and brain melting issues. Should have definitely budgeted a cheap car for a DD in my initial plan.

Probably have the engine and harness on eBay, TTORA, Yotatech, UZswap and Lextreme in the next few days...