View Single Post
Unread 12-02-2008, 01:13 AM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

And 10 minutes later I had ignition after a couple cranks of the starter. Now the manual states that the screw adjustments are as follows:

• Upper Idle Screw - 1.592 rotations from all the way in
  • Lower Mixture Screw - 2.187 rotations from all the way in
You notice how exact and how much I care about these calculations. I'll explain:

Upper Screw: The more the screw is turned out (counter clockwise) the lower the throttle slide is dropped which decreases the throttle. It's not going to hurt the engine in any way to have the screw backed out 1 turn or 3. Start at 1 turn out so that when the bike starts up it will keep running. The bike has probably been sitting forever and it will need a good helping of throttle to feed the dry engine to keep it going. Once this particular engine starter up it went dry of fuel after 30 seconds unless I revved the engine a good amount.

Once I jumped on it and rode it around for 10 minutes it kept running at idle. But until you run the engine up through the RPMs for a few minutes there is no way that this little 2 stroke will stay running at idle. 2strokes are made to run at full throttle all the time. You know your weekwacker? Those things never break until the owner screws up and doesn't mix the oil and fuel properly. 2 Strokes might wear out from use but you won't wear out this engine for a long long time as long as it's getting oil in the fuel.

Lower Screw: This one is a little more tricky... just a little. Ok having this screw turned IN (clockwise) all the way shuts down the oil from being mixed in with the fuel. As you turn it out a couple turns it is richening up the fuel. 2 turns from all the way in is NOT enough. I seriously doubt anyones Honda 50 engine will run to it's top speed potential at 2 turns out. I used the factory recommended 2 and 1/8 out. It revved really slow and kept dying. So I backed the mixture screw out to 2 and 1/2 out and took off down the street.

Adjusting The Screws: I rode the little 50 around the block and it moved ok but it started running a lot better after 5 minutes of use. I don't recommend just revving the engine on the kickstand and adjust the screws. Carry your screwdriver with you and hit the road. If you aren't smelling 2stroke oil within the first half of a minute of the engine starting up you had better check your oil pump and check to see that it's working. You don't just want to go riding around without oil or your engine will be cooked really soon!

So ride the bike and get it nice and warm riding around at a medium pace. A slow pace will just load up the engine with oil and maybe foul out your sparkplug. A higher RPM pace is recommended after another 5-10 minutes of operation if your engine hasn't been run in a few years. The engine needs to be run at a good and warm temperature to shake the cobwebs out of it and to make sure the oil is flowing through it.

Here is a video of the first engine start up of the NX50 Honda Express:
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later.
I AGREE