View Single Post
Unread 06-30-2012, 06:52 PM

Default New member with a 1966 C95

So... here's the scoop.

I'm in Toronto, and picked up a pair of C95's (Canadian CA95 as most of you know) a few years back. One complete non-runner and then another crusty parts bike a little later, which honestly turned into mostly a waste.

The parts bike did however come with a few new parts like 0.25 over pistons/rings, some cool Terry's Aero Valve Springs (heavy duty labelled for the CB92), a pair of new intake valves and some gaskets etc. which all made up for the money I paid for the parts bike (which got scrapped a while back).

So long story short, I picked the bike up and it sat while I worked on other projects. I have a number of other bikes, and I run the Cafe Racer forum DO THE TON (www.dotheton.com) in my spare time.

This year my wife decided to upgrade her scooter license to a full motorcycle license, so I decided it was time to do the C95. Tried to get it running but then discovered it had a whopping 30psi of compression. So apart it came - everything down to the transmission.

Cylinders, head, new pistons etc. off to the machine shop for boring/valve cutting etc.

Cases off for bead blasting

Side covers and miscellaneous parts out for polishing and re-chroming

Frame, fenders and other painted bits off for paint (actually getting powdercoated after having been dip-stripped).

I'm just beginning to put the engine back together, and expect the paint work to be done in a few days. The polishing and chroming is all done with the parts waiting patiently.

A couple years back I rebuild the petcock, sourced a better tank, got some NOS chrome tank panels and new badges etc. A few bits from Thailand like new bars (originals were bent), exhaust and some rubber things like footpegs.

The chrome on the rims are is beginning to bubble - will likely have them re-chromed and lace them up with Buchanan stainless spokes at some point but will use them as-is for now.

In the meantime, the wife was so excited having done her course last weekend, we did some quick looking and I bought her a 2011 Suzuki TU250X to ride, taking the pressure off this project a bit. She wants something dead-reliable, and a fuel-injected 250 single with 180 miles on it fits the bill nicely. Safer for her to ride as well given the suspension and braking technology of the C95.

Here are the pics I have of the C95 - more pics to come as I get all the parts in one room and begin to assemble. Sadly it might become living room art as there is no more room in the stable but we'll see.