View Single Post
Unread 02-22-2009, 09:00 PM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

Now here is where things can get tricky. DON'T EVEN attempt to put a V8 engine into your Toyota Tacoma if you haven't already done a body lift. There is NO way you'll get it to fit. If you do you will really have to cut down your oil pan to be too shallow. If you use another mid or rear sump then you will really still have to cut it for clearance just the same. If you have a 2 wheel drive Tacoma then things will be a little different and maybe easier since the lack of the front gear housing for the 4wd. If you don't have a body lift I would recommend that you look into a dry-sump system. I almost went for one on mine but my body lift allows the 1UZ to fit. I don't know why you wouldn't want a body lift since you have to have one to clear any larger tire than stock anyhow.

Look closely as this picture is worth a thousand bucks here:

See what I'm talking about? Since the 1UZ engine sits up a tad higher than the stock engine the transmission MUST move UP vertically to mate to it. This isn't a big deal at all with a body lift. For instance I simply moved the transmission cross member up on top of the stock mounting position! It's not going to look like this when I'm done but the measurement is right on and the drive shaft won't mind one bit. You also WANT the 1UZ to sit up a little higher so that it doesn't look so weird sitting down so low in the body when you open the hood. The 1UZ will fit with a body lift, no cutting the oil pan, using headers (manifolds are even wider, not good) and with raising the transmission up a bit just like I did here. So easy.... even a caveman can do it.