View Single Post
Unread 07-01-2008, 07:28 PM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

So what are we looking for to show us evidence of a bad connector? Why isn't a good electric signal getting to the fuel pump to keep the truck running? Here is a way you can look at the connectors really closely without completely removing the sending unit.

This is a mirror showing us the good fuel level sensor connector. The leads (solid blade of alloy that carries electrical current) are nice and clean. Now look below. Excuse the old mirror that is wearing down and not optically perfect, BUT if you look close you can see some green oxidation / crud. This is part of the lead that is now exposed by the plastic that has worn away because they didn't design the part correctly. The heat from the fuel pump wire eventually wears down the plastic and it breaks down and flakes off which exposes the electrical lead.

The connector should be perfectly white and clean on the inside where you see the green oxidation. The connectors are sealed with rubber built into the connector so there is no way dirt will get in there. But if the plastic wears away the air is enough to cause corrosion and it will break down over time.

Ok now you can pull it out and replace it. I think the whole fuel sending unit was just at $130 us dollars. The fuel pump on the other hand is more like $300. I replaced this one just because I don't want the possibility of the pump burning out and having to open it back up!! I swapped it out and I'm done with this forever.

If anyone wants to buy a used fuel pump let me know. I'll make you a killer deal on the one that I removed. It works just fine. I just replaced it as a preventative measure on a truck that needs to run every single day as a commuter. =]