View Single Post
Unread 02-07-2010, 09:48 PM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

There is so much information on this topic that I have it's hard for me to begin. I'll start with posting pictures of each wiring diagram from both vehicles so you can get an idea of what I'm dealing with making this 1UZ alternator power the 1996 Tacoma chassis wiring harness that I put the engine into.

But FIRST, just to clarify most cars have a chassis wiring harness that controls all the lights, alarm system, accessories, all the lights and everything except the engine. This wiring harness is powered by the main fuse and relay box. This means that you might have some starting relays, engine fuel injector and fuel pump fuses in the same box as well. This central power box is powered directly from the battery which powers the whole vehicle. The alternator on the new engine must be properly connected to keep the batter charged through this power box.

Then you have the engine wiring harness that controls the whole engine, emissions and fuel pump that plugs into the ECU right next to where the chassis wiring harness plugs into it. This is tossed aside with the old engine.

And with your new engine comes a new engine wiring harness.

So with some work and custom wiring you can put in any engine BUT you have to change a couple of wires around so that the new engines alternator will power the chassis fuse and relay box. I call this the power box because all the main fuses for my vehicle are contained in this with the main relays for the starter and stuff.