View Single Post
Unread 02-19-2011, 10:36 PM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers
Default PIAA Light Repair - 1st Gen

PIAA driving and fog lights were the first really good auxiliary lights that you could buy to add on to the front of your car or truck. They were really expensive and definitely a high quality product. I had been around the import racing scene since the very beginning in the early 90's so I had seen them marketed in that whole scene so I had to have some. For how small they are they put off a seriously strong beam that easily out performs the regular automotive headlights of that period. The pattern they put out floods the area which makes them light up the whole road but other than that modern car headlights of today are nearly as bright but properly project the light pattern down out of oncoming drivers eyes.

I cut holes in the front of my truck grill just to the inside of each headlight and used them for quite sometime before one of them stopped working. I figured that the bulb had burned out and I eventually removed them and put them to the side. Well I eventually called PIAA and even talked to a couple reps at event and I wasn't able to buy a replacement bulb at all. The first generation of PIAA product had the bulb epoxied into the reflector housing and it wasn't made to be serviceable at all. For such an expensive item it was a real shame to get this news from PIAA. I was really bummed that I only had one good working PIAA lamp and by that time they were a discontinued model. They made a newer model of driving light but it used a different arrangement of reflector and bulb that wasn't interchangeable. So my lights sat for an even longer time while I waited to find another one on Ebay. The problem was that they only can be found for sale in pairs and the price for even used ones runs really high. Not good.

Last edited by Smithers; 02-19-2011 at 10:40 PM.