View Single Post
Unread 07-08-2008, 03:08 PM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

I seemed to have done a good job cleaning the little carb out but it was difficult to properly work the throttle. I installed a new cable, made sure there was more than enough grease inside of it and lubricated all of the pivot points and the throttle grip housing. Alas the only thing left to keep the throttle from working good was a worn out throttle slide. I knew the plating was worn off some but I didn't expect it to stick so badly.

The only way to preserve this carb is to install another slide or to have the slide plated. The slides are made from brass and chrome plated. There are different grades of chrome of course but I'll let the pro's do what they do. I submitted my carb and slide to a company that plates and anodizes pieces to the exact micron for gun manufacturers. They will measure exactly how much material needs to be replaced. This sounds kinda easy but they will actually have to remove a certain amount of stock from the slide itself and then apply the chrome plating accordingly to get a proper tolerance.

With my awesome parts bike I acquired a second carb as well. But they aren't made exactly the same. It seems way back then they didn't really have a standard when it came to producing these things. They may look the same but the slide from carb #1 doesn't come close to properly fitting into carb #1. Shucks. :P

So as of now I'm waiting on carb #1 to have it's slide plated and returned to me. What now? Well lets move on to carb #2! Time to become an expert at cleaning carbs. I have 4 to do so lets get started with this one. Here is what I got when I removed the bowl:

Now check out that throttle slide on the right! Now that thing looks near new. This carb is going to run like a champ, ready to race.

I definitely have my work cut out for me in terms of racing Benly CA95's. Have a look at this mad dog out in Indiana. He has a background in aviation and knows how to make his CA95 fly around the dirt track. :lol: Check out the video at the start of his webpage here: Robs CA95 Restoration