View Single Post
Unread 02-21-2010, 07:36 PM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

Just to help everyone out who is questioning this topic of whether old Honda motorcycles need to have batteries in them to run:

ALL OLD HONDA MOTORCYCLES WILL NOT RUN WITHOUT A CHARGED BATTERY IN THEM

Now this is a rumor I have heard about when you try and run one of these older Hondas with a wrong 12V battery (when it calls for a 6V) or run it without a battery: I have read that you risk blowing out or damaging the rectifier. I haven't EVER had a malfunctioning rectifier in my life in all my motorcycle adventures (many many many different motorcycles) so I can't see the logic in this. I even worked on a Honda Express 1980 scooter that was acquired from a monkey that tried to run it with a 12V battery. I just put the proper battery in it and rebuilt the carb and it runs great so it wasn't damaged from the wrong battery.

The CL70 6V battery is very very small and has virtually no reserve power in it and must be on a Battery Tender or equivalent device to stay charged. It might stay charged enough to start after sitting for a month MAYBE but that's about it. I have had a couple brand new ones in mine over the years and they poop out quick. Here is a good example for anyone to try on this model. When you go to your CL70 go hold the horn down and see how long it goes until it slowly dies.... yeah like one minute MAYBE haha fun little bikes. I actually hard wired all the connectors in the wiring harness and the blinkers actually work now and all the lights are much brighter and the horn works 3x as loud.