View Single Post
Unread 09-22-2007, 09:16 PM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

So now it's September and I today I needed to split the transmission cases. The good engine (that came with the blue frame) had a crack on the bottom engine case where the foot pegs mount. This was due to a crash of course and a previous owner had tried to cover the whole crack with a big glob of epoxy. He definitely tried hard to fix it this was since the epoxy was pushed in pretty good. The problem with this was that the crack usually never stops in aluminum so it cracked even more because of the stressful location. So the oil leak wasn't stopped.

I took it to a engine block welding pro who removed some material with a special chisel and showed me how far back around the crack actually continued. The only way to salvage the case would be for him to force the crack and remove the area that was damaged. Then he would weld in a new piece of material, drill and tap the thread that needed to be added and then just do a lot of finish work. Basically I would be using my spare engine for the bottom case. All the hassle for that piece just wasn't worth his time if I have a spare... and thank goodness I do!!