View Single Post
Unread 06-10-2007, 11:28 AM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

Before I move on here is how to move the master link on that chain in order to reach it and get the chain and cylinder head off. I needed to turn the crank which will move the timing chain. The piston was just rusted solid in the cylinder from exposure. It was really bad. Kicking it won't work as you will just break something else and the piston won't budge. Turning the large clutch assembly might have been a little easier but it's very fragile due to the lightweight properties of it and could break easily. You also lose a lot of the ability to apply direct force to the crank itself which is very important in order to "pop" it free. The other side of the crank has important parts on it that have to do with timing which are too important to damage with the unusual amount of force needed to break the piston free. What's left?? This is your last resort to apply a HUGE amount of force needed for the operation.

Throw a strong rag like a piece of Levi's type jeans around this shaft and grab your largest vice grips!! The crankshaft end can take a great beating so don't worry much. I had to really get crazy and grab directly onto it with the sharp vicegrips and I only recommend this as a last resort. When I was finished cranking it loose I could then go back with a small file and remove a couple burrs that resulted from the vicegrips. No big deal.