View Single Post
Unread 02-09-2013, 12:25 PM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

I knew there were a few things wrong with the car but I jumped on the deal anyways. Wouldn't you know? The wire harness was damaged and never repaired. I had to repair the wires that went near the damaged fender that controlled the radiator fans, the horn and the AC pump. No big deal. So then I had to source a new set of rims and tires which didn't take long. I got my favorite tires mounted on a set of Katana 17" wheels so the handling improved by leaps and bounds. What's next? The fender was damaged from a flat tire so I cleaned the rubber off the fender and ordered a new fender which is waiting for paint. I'll install the fender when I paint the whole car sometime soon. For now the AC works, cruise works, power windows both work now, power door locks made noise so I replaced those, put a new stereo in it so we're in good shape now.

I had replaced both the transmission oil and engine oil but that didn't stop the inevitable! The headgasket decided to let go. I knew this was coming. The car didn't get very good fuel mileage at all but the engine ran really tight and didn't make one odd sound. Upon inspection of the cylinder head you could tell something was wrong with the color of the exhaust valves. The exhuast valves were toast and the valve guides were worn out as well. Someone must have been racing around without replacing the oil as needed. By the looks of the car before I got it having the biggest rims as possible was more important than changing the oil.

The car as it sits now:

It comes apart fairly quick and I had them throw in a new radiator as well. It should be back together early next week now that I brought back the cylinder head all tricked out and ready to roll.

Last edited by Smithers; 02-09-2013 at 12:57 PM.