View Single Post
Unread 01-27-2012, 07:53 PM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

Now let's get to the fun part! Taping the bed off for spraying. When I sanded mine down I just sanded up to the top of each side of the bed without going over the rails. I went ahead and taped it off around the edge while leaving about a quarter inch of space for the spray liner to cover. I just didn't want to cover the color on the top of the rails but I wanted SOME sort of protection in case something sat across the top of the bed. I'll be putting diamond plate around the bed rails later on. I was also concerned with the amount of coverage the kit would allow for. The bed rails would have taken more material and I had been warned to be conservative.

Here are a couple shots of the tape I put around the bed. I wanted to make sure and get the Shake and Shoot spray liner thick up the sides of the rear of the bed and the insides of the upper rail. I used 3M tape that happened to be green. It was really really strong and I was amazed at how pliable it was as well. I could make curves with it and it really held down.

The guys at the shop had also warned me not to spray the liner in the areas where the tailgate would mate with the truck bed. Basically the area where the latch connects to the receivers doesn't have much room typically on trucks to spray a thick bedliner and not cause problems. I had remembered how wide the gaps were on each side of this tailgate so I left the receiver area painted but I sprayed the tailgate latch area as I will easily have enough space with this particular truck. If you have a newer truck then you probably won't have enough space for the spray liner. Just be careful and double check how much rooms you have before you take the tailgate off.