View Single Post
Unread 05-03-2014, 04:41 PM

Send a message via AIM to ByTheLake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado66 View Post
Hopefully someone can give me direction here
When I tested out the starter with the start button, all I got was a click at the solenoid. So I took the solenoid apart and filed/sanded down the copper contacts. Tested it again on the bench and it works. Put it back in the bike and hooked everything up, push the button and it clicks once, no starter engagement and now it sticks.
So I tested just the starter on the battery and it works fine.
Now I'm wondering if the solenoid is bad or maybe I don't have a good ground.
Any other suggestions to test out the solenoid?
Thanks and as always appreciate the comments and advise
First - that little bike looks awesome, Doug. Love the white paint job.

Sounds like you're almost there. If the starter cranks from a direct connection to the battery, you can trace the circuit back one step at a time. The starter relay is just a big switch, so when you press the starter button and hear a click, you should be able to check for continuity across the contacts where the heavier cables connect. If resistance goes to near zero when the relay is engaged, the relay is doing its job. Make sure the heavy cable that runs from the starter to the relay is properly connected and not loose. Then trace the cable from the relay to the battery to confirm that connections are good.

This is a fresh paint job - is the ground cable (battery negative cable) connected to bare metal on the frame? (you've probably checked that already).