View Single Post
Unread 08-05-2010, 07:30 PM

Smile I am about to replace the rings and head on my Honda.

Hi,
Thank you for the pictures you posted. I found them doing a Google search. I have a hole around my spark plug hole that took out some of the threads and the engine will not start. I broke my recoil starter trying. I was going to take it apart, but unlike my other Honda its the black metal type that requires some kind of punch to do it, so I guess I'll have to buy a whole one rather than just replace the spring or what's broke.
I was wondering if I could tear down mine like you did yours and what the differences would be. My mower has been smoking allot on low RPMs or throttle SLOW position I use when I dump the bags. It a HR 215 K1 HXA model. I have done allot of work on it such as cleaning and re assembling the carburetor. I have allot of tools and feel I can do it. Mine is self propelled and another site suggested removing the driveshaft first, and go from there. I am thinking new rings, and a cylinder head with new valves is what I need to do. I can use my other parts from the head during re assemble. I read other forums and they suggested changing the rings would fix the problem. I did this to my Honda motorcycle and have a ring compressor and stone type cylinder hone, so I know I can do it. Doing it right is what I am concerned with. I never got that 'X' 60 degree pattern correct that you glaze into the cylinder while honing.
I am wondering if I can leave the parts on you did? It looked like you went through the bottom of the motor and did not remove the flywheel? Please let me know what steps you would do or some kind of order to do general things in.

Thanks