View Single Post
Unread 10-29-2009, 11:32 PM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

Here is what I have now. The red arrows show where the new clip will mount to just fine. I'll be using tubing below for the bottom which will have tabs welded on with these square holes. Then the blue arrows simply are mounting points for the outer fender and I'll have tubing stretching out to that side with tabs for mounting those. Then the green arrow shows the original ear of sheet metal that goes into the bumper bracket I made that goes across the front. I'll just recreate this in heavy steel and the rear of it will be welded at a right angle to the steel plating that will be the front of the body. Kinda hard to picture it I know but it will all be done tomorrow. That piece with the green arrow is just resting on the boxed frame mount that I made.

So the boxed plated piece will just weld to the bumper mount and tubing will go up from there to mount to the inner fender support that looks like a diamond in the upper left. And tubing will go out to the blue arrow fender mounts. Might as well do it for the long run. It will only set me back a day and it will look much better. I'm still retaining the stock sheet metal piece that goes across the whole hood line. It's the last thing that keeps the truck looking Toyota and not full race when you pop open the hood.

Now I feel like a real idiot. Before I did my whole engine swap I could have just cut all of this out in the first place! That would have made things incredibly easy for engine placement and measuring and fabbing all the adapters... jeesh! I feel dumb. BUT rebuilding the whole thing after all that time would have really been hard. Now I'm starting to wonder if I should make that whole top sheet metal piece detachable. Well when I put the tubing across the whole front end then it's going to be permanent so I'll just leave it there for now. I see myself making tabs for those mounts eventually... hmmmm. >:\