View Single Post
Unread 10-29-2009, 11:22 PM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

So today I went just a tad backwards. Moving back to the left side I test mounted the front clip (grill) and the new headlights up to the front of the truck. Well I already knew the mounting points were only going to be the same along the top. I knew I would have to fudge the bottom mounts to make them work as well as the mounts for the new headlights. Instead of spending the time to modify the stock sheetmetal I just decided it would be wiser to just build it from scratch. I should have done this at the beginning but I was just intimidated by having to do this detail oriented work. But in the long run it needs to be done and it's not a good idea to put any time into something that you'll just want to redo later on.

I just cut the top headlight mounting area and it basically just come off. I have plating welded in behind the sheet metal that is just below the headlight so I cut it free to reuse it. I also cut another plate the same size so that I could make a 3D piece to work with instead of just a single plate of steel.