View Single Post
Unread 10-19-2008, 10:33 AM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

**UPDATE - JB Weld Applied

The GOOP just couldn't hold back the fuel!

The Goop simply dissolved after I put 2.5 gallons in the tank and rode around for a half hour. Not fun but at least I didn't fill it up so I could ride back once I started smelling fuel!

This GOOP didn't help at all and dissolved pretty quick. Oh well, it was fun trying it. My last resort is to try some JB weld and it's working! JB weld is resistant to fuel and all sorts of chemicals because it bonds together like a rock. The only drawback is that it isn't flexible so if the plastic tank flexes too much it will pull away and might leak. They have a product called Water Weld which is mfg'd by the same company. I'll try this if the JB weld doesn't hold up. But for now it seems to be working great. I might make some rubber mounts for the side of the tank to support it better. This would be to take some weight off of the front of the fuel tank where the repair work has been done. I would just like to decrease the risk of any flexing in the plastic. I just bought a tank bag and if I put more weight on the fuel tank it might promote a failure in the JB Weld repair.

I scuffed up the plastic area to be welded a little and then applied the JB Weld nice and easy like. =] And it's holding...

I wish I had a metal fuel tank now. Especially since I've seen evidence of plastic tanks breaking in crashed and releasing fuel all over the bikes. In some cases the fuel pumps have come apart from the tank as well, causing the bike to engulf in flames. I'm not just talking about some old wives tale either... I've seen the pictures and videos on Youtube.com. Go look around for yourself if you need proof. But in the interest of having a safe and dependable motorcycle I would very much like to find a steel tank once again. That way I could also use a magnetic tank bag again.