View Single Post
Unread 03-19-2013, 09:31 PM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

Next I wanted to make sure the fuel level was correct. Maybe it's starving out? I borrowed this snazzy factory fuel level check tool. These have a part number from Suzuki/ Kawasaki and works with all sorts of Keihin carbs. I was almost about to make myself one until a good friend of mine said he probably had one in his tool stash. I was lucky enough to just borrow his. The only way there would be a problem with the fuel level is if someone was messing around with the float (bad mechanic) or if there was a hole in the float for some reason. In my case there wasn't any problem at all. I held up the carb and measured the fuel level from the bottom of the carb body and fell within spec of what the factory manual calls for. So no matter what I had a proper fuel level.

If you just remove the bowl and measure the actual float level you would probably be just fine too. But using the gravity fed fuel level tester you know for sure how the fuel level is with the assembled carb in the upright position.