View Single Post
Unread 12-25-2013, 07:16 PM

Welcome to the Forum! I have restored several CA160's and CA95's and it sounds like you have a gem! I would like to answer a few of your concerns/questions.

"I intend to try to start it when I return from a short vacation."

"I’ve read horror posts about the petcock and, hopefully, there won’t be a problem with it.

One of the first common issues with these old bikes starts with the fuel petcock. Inside the petcock is a cork seal. When the seal dries from age or sitting with an empty tank, it fails, thus giving your first disappointment. I suggest starting the bike for the first time using a makeshift separate fuel source.

On occasion the carburetor may leak. So doing the above will save you a potential mess.

Speaking of the Petcock. You can buy nice aftermarket tank adapters and Harley style modern petcocks for the CA160 & CA95's. I use one on my CA95. You don't have to modify the tank and you can keep the old one in case you want to sell the bike as "original"

"but I think I’d like to keep this as a genuine survivor since it can only be original once, however, I haven’t decided whether I should polish the chrome, mildly polish the aluminum and restore the existing paint. I know it’s a personal decision but please share your thoughts."

Shiny original chrome rules (IMO) The aluminum control housings will clean up nicely with some quality aluminum polish. The controls were not mirror polished when new.

Keeping the original paint is always a good idea.

"I’ll clean and line the gas tank",

First thing to remember is to protect the paint. A light coat of Vaseline on the paint will ward off cleaner or chemical attack.

Since the bike was maintained you may not need to line it. I highly recommend a product called "Evapo-Rust". It's a great neutralized acid product that removes rust without damaging metal. I use this product exclusively on my restores.

Getting the petcock screws loose is another potential issue. Soaking the inside with Evapo-Rust will greatly increase the chances of getting them loose.

"Also, while know it’s a ’66 CA160, I’ve also heard it referred to as a “Baby Dream”, a “Benly”; and a different “C”XX model number; which is correct?"

The CA160 is an upgrade of the CA95. CA95's were named as "Baby Dreams" as they were the smallest of the stamped frame models as compared to the CA77. 305 Dream. The "Benly" is a historical name meaning "convenience" and dates back to the 50's. The use of these terms seem to apply interchangeable for both models. I am not sure if a deeply knowledgeable Honda historian would agree.

"I haven't had a problem sourcing the parts that I presently need but I can't find the one item I'm in desperate need of - a factory shop manual"

Once in a while you will find an owners manual like below.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-CA160-...34b662&vxp=mtr

The manual below will cover your bike and ones similar.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1965-1978-Ho...70cebe&vxp=mtr

Good luck with your project. When you ride it you will always have folks asking you about it.