View Single Post
Unread 10-25-2007, 08:35 PM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

Don't let those rollers fall out when you are sliding it onto the crank... go slow and easy.

Don't kid yourself - remove the magneto ring and pull it back so you have a clear shot of the crank so you can carefully place the magneto on. The shaft used a crescent shaped key to index it and it is HELL to put back on! Why didn't they use a straight key? If only things were so easy. The crescent shaped key need to be put at the perfect angle to allow the key slot in the magneto to glide right over it. The parts have sharp edges so if its not aligned perfectly it just pushes the key out of the crank. It's very annoying but has to be done! If the ring around the magneto is left on the bike the magneto will try and stick to it magnetically and then you will never ever be able to align it perfectly for it to fit so don't waste your time. It will drive you to alcoholism for sure.

Now go easy on that starter button!! I'm going to make extra sure that the points are in top shape and adjusted perfectly so that I don't have to crank the engine anymore than I have to.