Thread: Rust Removal
View Single Post
Unread 02-03-2013, 02:08 PM

Another great rust remover is citric acid, which you can buy in pound qty's on-line. To put rust removal in perspective, acids remove rust. Acid types (Oxalic, Citric, Nitric, Phosphoric and the like) will be more or less aggressive. Heat activates chemistry, so acid strengh, type, temp. and exposure duration determines how aggressive rust removal will be. The latest craze is a neutralized acid such as Evapo-Rust and Metal Rescue have hit the consumer market. We use heated neutralized acid to remove rust at the plant (aerospace needle bearings) to remove occasional rust issues here in southeastern GA where the humidity is high.

The most delicate item for my projects is to save a gas tank. When you have no metal to spare then a neutralized acid is the way to go. I use a chrome cleaner from the auto store that has oxalic/phosphoric/nitric blend (super weak) that takes care of my heavy rust removal needs on robust parts.

Of course we are talking steel...cleaning aluminum is a whole different story. I have to say that the neutralized acid (Evapo Rust or Metal Rescue) will not harm aluminum. So when I get a nasty carb with metal choke arms or cooroded fittings, the neutralized acids work well.

Oh, by the way. The Crock Pot makes a great heated bath for derusting parts...since the wife never uses it...and Coke, Pepsi, Mountain Dew, Orange Juice works too!

Last edited by Spokes; 02-03-2013 at 02:11 PM.