View Single Post
Unread 12-25-2014, 11:09 PM

I have not pulled apart an "early" horn with the screw-on wire connectors like yours. I did pull apart a late horn and gentle persuasion is what it took to get my horn apart. Prising where the outside steel bell and the cast aluminum horn base meet is what I did. As I recall, I worked it right there at the white paint spot where the bell is dimpled to meet its mating surface on the cast horn base (see attached pic).

Also, be very careful of those brittle nylon insulators around the screw lugs where the horn wires attach. I'm not sure if there's an easy way to recreate/replace those if they get broken. Also, there's supposed to be a white rubber gasket or o-ring piece between the nylon insulators and the outside steel bell; yours are missing or rotted away (white rubber does that!). Attached is a horn that has one of its rubber insulator in place. I have not tried to disassemble this horn, because it's in such decent original condition.

I did not successfully restore my "late" CA95 horn (mentioned above) to good original working condition. I raised it from the dead by cleaning its contact points and got it to squak and freep, but not beep well like a proper 6V horn. However, maybe some more tweaking would help...?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg earlyCA95hornDPL.jpg (145.5 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg earlyCA95hornLUG.jpg (171.8 KB, 8 views)