View Single Post
Unread 12-25-2014, 12:02 AM

Not all NA keys are the same. I messed with Pinky's (my '60 Tokyo Rose) ignition and fork locks for a while until I found a match. I first found the correct NA606 key number, that I initially thought would open the locks; it did not. I've attached a pic of the differences. After significant research, I eventually found a NA626 key that did open the locks. Honda did that with their keys; skip numbers and make minute changes to the cut.

I had the same "key" problem with my '61 Benly (nicknamed Rusty) - a very late 1961, VIN CA951100968. The bike has matching fork and ignition locks, but has a bizarre key number B4603 (see attached pic) that nobody was able to match or had even heard of... and I contacted many Honda key experts. (Another untold Honda mystery, as is the Tokyo Rose color that they've never acknowledged selling.)

A generous eBay seller let me send him one of my locks for Rusty (I chose my fork lock because it was easier to remove) and he took the time to find a match to it in his many keys. I was flabbergasted at the kindness and generosity of this seller. You just don't find that many of these types of folks out there any more. He was able to find key NB603 that fit and opened both locks, but obviously the numbers are not an exact match. (Yet again we see the similarity in Honda's numbering scheme, as with Pinky.) One of the two keys he sent me worked more smoothly in the lock than did the other, but I was okay with that; just happy to have found a key that worked.

http://www.hondakeys.com/ is a good resource for Honda tire pump and ignition keys, not the eBay seller mentioned above, but a great guy nonetheless. He's provided me with ignition keys and was able to get me key 309 for the tire pump on Rusty.

I've also attached a pic of a tire pump key for your reference.

Hope this info proves helpful.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NA606key.jpg (52.5 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg DSC03360.jpg (204.9 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg earlyCA95tire-pump_key.jpg (262.8 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by frappy; 12-25-2014 at 11:19 PM. Reason: added pic of pump lock key