View Single Post
Unread 06-18-2013, 10:42 PM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

Just for reference here is a tire review on the Sedona tires done by the guys at Motocross Action. Their review hits home with my experience.

I took the bike out to Pozo CA with a friend of mine for a quick afternoon ride. With just me and him out there I would have time to make some adjustments and push the bike up to a good pace and put some time on the new suspension and adjust the carb as well. I rode the bike around the camping area making a couple adjustments to the forks to allow the front to be more compliant for the trail type riding we do. I was looking for more traction in the hard pack conditions without airing down anymore. The rear was stepping out already while making adjustments at camp but I just assumed it was the normal hard pack ground and dry conditions. It was more than then.

The knobs feel somewhat soft to the touch compared to other tires so you would think that you would have some grip somewhere but I just couldn't get good feedback from the tires enough to inspire confidence. I agree with Motocross Action when they said, "We thought that the soft rubber would make the Sedona better on hard terrain, but the tall knobs tend to roll over." I would scrape along side a boulder or drop down onto some rocks and the knobs would just slide right down the surface like they were bending and just scrubbing the corners off the edges... or breaking off. : / In my pictures you can see stress cracks at the base of every knob. The rubber just simply bends too much in my opinion, leading to the rubber splitting and leading to tearing. Of course this might be because of the faster pace I was riding at. Maybe if you just rode on more compliant dirt and you don't ride so fast they would last a lot longer?

All I know is I finally get this bike back in adjustment after the make-over and it's just tearing the knobs right off the tire carcass. While I'm skipping over fire trails and dropping down some rocky hill sides I'm being very vigilant with my feet being careful to throw my boots out in the blink of an eye in order to stay upright. The RMZ-250 is sure a very fast handling motocross bike but the skittish tires are really keeping my adrenaline peaked. I would square up to a tall fire road climb and give it the juice only to have the back end just swing wildly to one side. I made it a practice to make sure my butt was down on the seat to stabilize when I would whack open the throttle but this soon started beating up my kidneys. I had to ride in normal position but this really kept the rear tire from hooking up.