View Single Post
Unread 02-14-2011, 11:43 PM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

Ok you asked for it so here we go. I'm just going to give you a basic rundown on the pros and cons here for you to think about Mr. Ranger. I don't know you or your ability so I'm not trying to make any assumptions about you personally. Just answering a couple questions. You would be LUCKY to get the swap done for $5,000 and be completely happy with it. From the questions you are asking I can't assume that you do a lot of mechanic work or have much experience with V8 engines... or different Toyota engines much at all. I really can't recommend this engine conversion for you unless you have a lot of mechanic or fabrication experience. If your wondering about your tire sized compared to what size lift you want to put on then you shouldn't be thinking about an engine swap. It costs a LOT of money and is very difficult be able to work through all of the different mechanical and electrical problems that are in your way. And if you can't get through any of those obstacles that are in your way then you're going to have to pay someone that has the experience and that is even more expensive than you can estimate. It's very difficult to get a V8 into that truck and make it look and work like it came with that engine from the factory. There are professional mechanics that show off their projects they have built online but they have massive experience with the skills needed and experience working with these engines. Parts are very hard to come by and when you do find them they are very expensive compared to most engines unless you start networking online to buy them and it's still not cheap after shipping and the time it takes.

Just do yourself a favor and price out the cost of the exhaust modifications, the cost of any adapters you will need for your engine, the cost of customizing your driveshaft and then think about how you are going to make your AC work and all your gauges and ignition operate. These parts and labor all add up to way more than people even want or think they will have to pay for the entire swap. And I assume you want 4wd to work? Research around on what that would cost. If you keep the stock Lexus automatic it will only be 2wd and run sluggishly until you regear the rear end... another $500 once that's done.

And weakpoints... well I found a whole of of weakpoints in my Tacoma when I had the 4 cylinder in it. I broke just about everything driving it pretty hard. If you drive nice and easy then you won't break anything no matter what engine you have in it. If you drive fast and use the wrong gears or can't shift then you'll find the weakpoints. Burnouts invite drivetrain failure. The wrong gearing + leadfoot + big sticky tires = breakage no matter what engine. I would stick to your factory 3.0L and regear for more torque and just enjoy your dependable transportation. I would put new cams in the engine and have the heads ported a little bit and add some headers if you don't already have them. If you even think this is expensive then don't even consider an engine swap my friend. Save your money.