View Single Post
Unread 01-20-2011, 03:01 PM

Default 1 uz pros & cons?

Hey everyone, Noob here when it comes to this engine... hoping someone here with more experience with this engine can help me answer some of these questions...

I am thinking very seriously about doing this upgrade, Ive seen the videos from Australia and looks like other ppl who have this mod are having LOTS of fun with it.. the vehicle i would be putting it into would be a 2000 4runner.

What I am trying to figure out is the pros and cons of this swap..

MY QUESTIONS:

1. would this increase performance in mud/rocks/snow and hill climbing?
or would the power increase be too much? and cause the tires to spin too quickly in mud/snow. since I have seen videos with drivers tapping the gas (from the sounds in the video) it looks like they are just tapping the gas to get up a hill or to pass an obstacle....and not requiring the full use of the V8 it seems it is too much power perhaps?
I understand the truck goes alot faster on large open areas. ie beaches or deserts..
I would be using this truck in Vancouver BC, where there are lots of mountains, mud, rock, and vertical climbs...

2. are there any serious mechanical issues that could arrise?
ie. too much stress on other drivetrain/suspension components?

3. if there are mechanical weak points created as a result of the swap could these parts be upgraded/beefed up to handle the new engine?

4. is it recommended to use 35" to 36" tires with a 4 to 6" lift on a 2000 4runner with this engine??

5. what would something like this cost on a 4runner roughly? i got a quote from someone for $3000 - $5000 depending on what parts I want...

any opinion would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Last edited by Kokanee Ranger; 01-27-2011 at 03:36 AM.