View Single Post
Unread 02-20-2010, 03:26 PM

Default 1971 Honda CL70 please help me get it running

Hello my name is John, I have had the hardest time finding people with knowledge and experience with CL70s and was happy to find your forum.

I purchased a 1971 Honda CL70 in sapphire blue last year for $200 off craigslist and I hope you can help me to get it running and riding. It currently has no spark.

previous owner claimed to have it running but then connected a 12volt (suppose to be 6v) battery to it and it would not run after that. I am trying to figure out what damage he caused by doing that. I have purchased another wiring harness, stator, and rectifier but are all used parts off a non running bike. My weak point is electrical and I have no idea how to test any of the components on the bike or the ones I bought. The harness on it now is pretty hacked up as you can tell in the photo. I have no clue where to start.

motor turns and has good compression, so I think if I can get it sparking I will have a good chance of running it.

If you could guide me along and help me get this running this summer I will be very happy and thankful. please help.
here is the bike when I got it.

here is it after some cleaning up, and a better tank, since the picture the fork ears have been changed to chrome. I also rewired the handlebar and changed the speedometer.

Last edited by jfp350; 02-20-2010 at 03:42 PM.