View Single Post
Unread 09-22-2011, 06:39 PM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers
Thumbs up

I would buy the following:
  • gasket kit for engine rebuild
  • oil seal kit for the kickstarter and shifter seals but you might as well do them all at this point - cheap.
  • pistons are cheap so probably a new piston and ring set
  • don't forget the wrist pin and circlips - all new don't re-use!
  • borrow a ball hone or buy one for like $30 maybe they might cost

A local machinist here in my town has done all this stuff a million times in his life so he charges me like $100 (at the most I know it wasn't more) to bore and hone the cylinder LIKE NEW and he gives me all sorts of advice on to of that which is priceless. This is for a Honda 150 twin but I don't think they will do a single cylinder for less than that these days. He also told me to go buy the larger size pistons I thought I would need and he bored the holes to match each one. He measured them so precisely that he labelled each piston a number and told me which one went in each hole. I guess even the Honda brand pistons weren't exactly the same size when you measured them. but anyhow you only have one so nevermind.

The valves you can just get a cheap suction cup grinder thing and just spin them like you are starting a fire. Of course you will need to use the grinding compound and have released the springs and keepers on the other end to allow them so spin. I'm just covering all the basics for the sake of recording this info here. I'm not assuming you haven't done anything mechanical in your life so bear with me.