View Single Post
Unread 01-21-2014, 09:09 PM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

There is a screw that goes through the metal cover into the white RCA jack housing but that didn't stop my girl from whacking it when she was shifting things around in the living room. Yeah this is a super common thing with laptops. I lost count of how many laptops I have repaired because of people abusing the AC jack and cord. I love Apple laptops - they have the magnetic AC cords! Have you seen those? It is the most genius thing to hit laptops since the track pad was unveiled! When the power cord gets pulled or bumped it simply disconnects. Simply amazing.

Funny thing about the AC jacks and power supplies. The older high performance laptops used desktop type processors requiring massive power. The old style processors couldn't be throttled back by the operating system like the ones we have today. That amount of power required would eventually heat up the connection to the AC jack so much it would practically ruin the board! I even used high temp solder on one and it STILL melted the adjoining conductive material. This was when laptops started out at $1,500 for anything that was bearable. What junk.