View Single Post
Unread 07-08-2012, 09:49 AM

Send a message via AIM to ByTheLake

Thanks for sharing the pic. I absolutely love seeing these pictures for the first time, assessing what has been done to the motorcycle in 46+ years. That frame number puts your Benly among the last 700 or so made. The CA95-5xxxxxx frame serials were sold and titled as 1965 and 1966 models. I'm not among the experts out here, but I'll weigh in on my assumptions based on your picture:

1) Probably not the original tires. The late Benlys shipped with wider white walls, so I'm assuming that at some point the tires were changed, which is likely, given the age. Still ancient tires I'm sure.

2) Are the tank chrome panels in good shape? If so, that's a big plus. Definitely the original tank badges, since only fragments remain. The aftermarket steel tank badges are inexpensive.

3) Looks like a complete chain guard ... another big plus.

4) Aftermarket turn signals were added, front and rear.

5) Front foot peg(s) have abandoned the bike. Inexpensive replacements are available.

6) Just a guess here, but it looks like some screws were added to the left side panel, perhaps to support a corroding tool tray? Not sure.

7) Carb covers are missing. Those can be a challenge to find at times, but I see one listed as new on eBay for $37.99 or best offer, plus $20 shipping from Thailand. Some folks go without.

8) Mirrors are missing, but replacements are inexpensive.

Overall, an excellent project bike, in better shape than what I started with. No rush, enjoy the project.

Last edited by ByTheLake; 07-08-2012 at 10:01 AM.