View Single Post
Unread 06-15-2012, 11:40 AM

Default Pesky petcock... solved maybe

Hey Guys,
I was getting my 1966 CA160 ready for Father's Day weekend and since this is a new to me bike I hadn't put fuel in the tank yet. There has been some discussion regarding JB Weld and the sediment bowl or other parts.The bowl on this petcock had been repaired in such a manner.On this bowl there was a hole in the 'bolt' area. The bowl I used on the installation was a nearly perfect bowl until I glass beaded it to clean it. It now looks more like a strainer (you'll see in the final pic).
What to do until somebody starts cranking these puppies out of billet?
My tool box never ceases to amaze me when it pukes up some little pearl I can use, like it did today. I managed to find a simple packing plug used for different sized hoses. Most of you may be familiar with CAPLUGS. I also had an Oring assortment and found one to fit as in the picture. Now the idea here is not that the oring will actually seal anything as it is being used but rather acts as a support or backing ring for the lip of the red caplug. It is the lip of the plug that will seal against the wide flat oring used as the bowl seal.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bowlhole.jpg (327.1 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg JBBowl.jpg (418.7 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg caplug.jpg (281.4 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg asemmble1.jpg (419.5 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by Larzfromarz; 06-15-2012 at 11:45 AM.