View Single Post
Unread 05-24-2012, 05:02 PM

Sorry but you don't repair coils. Simply replace them. Tests are easy if you have the specs. Problem is most folks don't have a good understanding of the multimeter they use and how to use it. The Clymer (or most manuals) for your vintage should have basic diagrams on the system and basic diagnostics.
What exchanges? If a 12 volt system your selection is greater, much less so with 6 volts. Most any of the same voltage two cylinder coils should work on a Ca160. Please stab me if I'm wrong- anybody else...?
Exactly why do you suspect your present coil and what have you done to test the coil? is the coil getting voltage? does the primary have continuity? is there no short between the primary and secondary, what is the resistance of the primary winding?If all else is know good-
The coil primary winding is good when you have battery voltage all of the way to the points (when open). When the points close the coil primary builds inductance and when the points open the magnetic field is collapsed into the secondary inducing a transformed voltage to go to the spark plug, creating a spark yada yada.
Coils are pretty simple and unless lots of heat has been applied tough to kill ( in theory). Practice may be something else. I wouldn't spend a fortune on a replacement until sure.
My 2 pesos and we know what thats worth-