View Single Post
Unread 03-20-2012, 12:43 AM

Send a message via AIM to ByTheLake

I suspect that most of us have not taken the step-by-step photos of the rear wheel removal process that you're looking for. No matter, maybe if we start piecing together the steps others on the forum can fill in the gaps and you'll get what you need.

I'll start, then others can pitch in with advice and/or corrections.

1) Set the bike on its center stand ... but you probably already did this.

2) If your bike has the chain guard, begin by removing the two chain guard halves from the left side of the bike. There are 5 screws, circled below.

3) Now let's move to the right side of the rear tire, where in the photo below, my exhaust system has rusted and fallen away for your convenience. In the blue circle, back off the brake rod adjuster nut completely so it can be removed. A deep well socket is handy for this task. In the green circle, remove the bolt from the brake torque link. Now you're almost there. In the red circle is the lock nut for the rear wheel adjuster. There will be one on each side of the wheel. Back off this nut a few turns to loosen it, then remove the bolt completely.

4) In the yellow circle below are a pair of nuts that retain the axle. Back off the outer nut completely, then do the same for the second nut. You may have to hold the right side of the axle to keep it from spinning.

5) From the left side, tap the axle through the wheel. It may help to lift the wheel a bit as you do this to relieve the weight on the axle. The wheel should fall free. You'll need to unwrap the chain from the sprocket as the wheel falls in order to completely remove the wheel.

I think that's about it. Oh yeah, in one of the pictures above is a purple box. You may notice graduations or 'hash marks' on the rear swing arm. These marks will help you align the rear wheel when you put it back on. I'm sure the others will have clearer advice, but when you put the rear wheel back on and the chain is in place, adjust the left side adjuster first to get the chain to the appropriate tension, then adjust the right side to the same number of hash marks that the left side has. Your wheel should track fairly straight, but a visual check will confirm that.

Last edited by ByTheLake; 03-20-2012 at 12:50 AM.