Thread: Titling etc.
View Single Post
Unread 02-14-2012, 12:59 PM

Smile

My best recollection, in Texas, is that if you are applying for a lost title from TXDOT, you must be the original title owner or you are SOL. Perhaps their are other hurdles you can jump, but I have no experience with that process. I would suggest you hire a lawyer or try to ingratiate yourself with a friendly and knowledgeable DMV supervisory level employee. It also never hurts to review their statutes on Motor Vehicle Title, licensing and replacement processes...and, at the same time, familiarize yourself with their Administrative Rules, which are usually posted on-line, on the motor vehicle licensing and acquisition of lost or misplaced licenses and Titles, as the case is applicable. This will help you speak intelligently with the DMV HMFIC (too naughty to place in print).
By the way, the only way the DMV will "screw" you is if the bike was stolen at some time prior to your Mom purchasing it over 30 years ago and assuming they updated their original information. I would surmise that, at worst, they might tell you who the original owner was and suggest that you work out the titling issue with them or their heirs, if they are dead.
Either way, good luck. If none of this is accurate, then ignore it.