View Single Post
Unread 12-22-2011, 01:02 PM

Took your advice Sam Green and found the domed head bolt.

Now for my headache today...

Thought the three holed washer went on the OUTSIDE of the cam gear. Timely mistake! Had to essentially back track through all the progress I made yesterday, take the flywheel and stator/starter gear assembly back apart, and re-do the cam chain; this time though, with the head attached to the motor.

It was a little more tricky. I put a dab of locktite on the cam gear to keep the washer in place during the install. Here's the starting point:

I decided not to take the master link off until the gear was on. I don't know which way is easier, but it is doable this way. I kept the bottom side off of the crank gear though.

For anyone who has to do this, it is best if you put the master link in the cam chain BEFORE wrapping it around the crank. This way you don't have to slide it in behind everything when you're trying to connect it. Without the tensioner in, it's not super hard, but have some patience.

Here's how everything should look on the top side

After running through by hand (with the tensioner installed so that nothing slips), I put on the stator and starter gear assembly, and then put the flywheel/starter clutch on. (This is a mild pain if yours is like mine. I kept having the starter clutch wheels fall out while putting it on. A little waterproof grease helped.)

I ended up having to clean out the neutral contact on the shift drum with some fine sandpaper. I know it's still dirty, but I'll hopefully never see it again. And this is WORLDS cleaner than it was to begin with!!

Here's the clutch actuator (not sure what it's actually called) after a dip in the ultrasonic cleaner

There was some pretty nasty grease in it. After all, it had been sitting since the late 70s/early 80s!

Got all the covers back on for a few shots!

I'd eventually like to get the side covers painted, but that's a job for another day. Also you will note the bolts holding the starter in are a little long. They're just a temp solution until I figure out what I did with the originals!!

So really at this point, the motor is pretty much ready to go back in the bike. All I need to actually go down the road is a chain, tires and tubes, a little wiring, AND A CARBURETOR!