View Single Post
Unread 12-03-2011, 08:33 PM

Member Kartgreen's oil find is unmatched. He gave me a couple of quarts to try out and I stand by his findings.

As far as modern multi-weight oils are concerned. They are not suitable for the old Honda motorcycle wet clutch engines. Nor are they suitable for gas powered engines manufactured prior to about 1975. The old engines required an anti-scuff additive (a zinc compound) to prevent wear to the valve train. Newer engines have hydraulic valve trains and do not require the zinc additive. In addition, the zinc additive clogges up catalytlic converters. Thus modern motor oils have little or no zinc in their formula's.

The multi-weight high detergent oils are also bad news for the old air cooled Honda engines, as they run hot. The high temp that the old Honda engines operate at will breakdown the wax chemistry in modern oils that make them "multi-weight". In addition, modern oils have anti-friction additives that will make the old style wet clutch slip. My theory as to why we find a lot of the old Honda's with stuck clutches, is that the wax chemistry in modern oils, used by mistake, have polimerized due to heat and become tacky. To add insult to injury, the high detergent keeps dirt suspended and defeats the purpose of the spinner type oil "filter" found on the old Honda engines.

So besides member Kartgreen find, which is the best. I suggest using straight 30wt weight non detergent motor oil with an additive called "Rislone Engine Oil Treatment with Zinc additive (part# 4401) Use this additive by its suggested additive to oil ratio on the bottle.

Or, straight 30 wt Diesel Motor Oil (Shell Rotella) The diesel motor oils still have the zinc additive.

Last edited by Spokes; 12-03-2011 at 08:39 PM. Reason: sp